Kiwis are one of my favorite fruits. Their sweet, tangy flavor and bright green flesh make them a nutritious and delicious addition to any diet. However, what happens if you eat bad kiwi? Can spoiled kiwis make you sick?
Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Eating a bad kiwi can lead to foodborne illness and other unpleasant symptoms. In this article, I’ll discuss how to tell if a kiwi has gone bad, what can happen if you eat one anyway, and how to avoid consuming spoiled kiwis.
How To Know If Kiwi Is Bad?
It’s important to inspect kiwis carefully before eating to ensure they haven’t spoiled. Here are the main signs that indicate your kiwi has gone bad:
- Fuzzy mold or mildew growing on the skin. This is one of the most obvious indicators of spoilage. Mold on the surface means spores have taken hold and the kiwi’s defenses have failed.
- Brown, black or gray spots on the exterior. This bruising or discoloration signals the kiwi flesh underneath has begun to rot.
- A very soft or mushy texture when gently squeezed. Good kiwis should be firm but yield slightly to pressure.
- An unpleasant sour or rotten smell. Sniff near the stem end and avoid kiwis with off odors.
- A wet or slimy feel. Exterior moisture could indicate bacterial growth or fermentation.
- Shriveled skin. Dehydration and wrinkling means the kiwi is old and past prime freshness.
Pay close attention to these signs of rotting. If in doubt, when in doubt, throw it out!
What Happens If You Eat Bad Kiwi?
Why go through the trouble of inspecting kiwis before eating? Consuming a rotten kiwi can make you sick.
Here are some of the likely consequences of eating a bad kiwi:
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea – Your body recognizes the kiwi has spoiled and tries to expel it quickly.
- Stomach cramps and abdominal pain – The digestive tract goes into overdrive attempting to deal with the bad kiwi.
- Mouth or throat irritation and sores – High acidity from fermentation burns sensitive tissues.
- Headache – Toxins or dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea can trigger headaches.
- Fever – Foodborne pathogens may trigger a fever over 101°F in response to an infection.
- Potential food poisoning requiring medical treatment – In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary to treat dehydration or infection.
The high acidity and bacteria load of bad kiwis essentially irritate the digestive system. Be prepared for some unpleasant symptoms if you consume one. Seek medical attention for severe or persisting issues.
Avoiding Eating Bad Kiwis
You can take several simple steps to avoid accidentally eating spoiled kiwis:
- Inspect fruit carefully before purchasing. Check for signs of mold, damage, or wetness. Reject bruised or overripe kiwis.
- Store kiwis properly in the refrigerator. Keep kiwis chilled at 32°F – 40°F. Avoid moisture buildup by lining the crisper drawer with paper towels.
- Check kiwis for spoilage signs before eating. Give kiwis a sniff test and feel for soft spots. When in doubt, throw it out!
- Cut away moldy or damaged spots. You can salvage kiwis by cutting 1-2 inches around and below any mold.
- Compost overripe kiwis rather than eating them. Better safe than sorry if they seem questionable.
- Follow recommended storage times. Only keep kiwis refrigerated for 1-4 weeks maximum after purchasing.
Avoiding spoiled kiwis comes down to proper storage, vigilance when inspecting, and using common sense. Don’t risk your health to save a piece of fruit.
What to Do if You Eat a Bad Kiwi?
Hopefully you’ll never bite into a bad kiwi thanks to preventative care. But if you experience symptoms after eating one, here’s how to respond:
- Drink fluids like water, diluted fruit juice, or electrolyte drinks to prevent dangerous dehydration from diarrhea or vomiting.
- Take over-the-counter medications like Pepto-Bismol, Imodium, or Gravol to relieve nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal discomfort safely at home.
- Rest and avoid strenuous physical activity to allow your body to direct energy towards recovery.
- Seek medical help if symptoms seem severe or persist longer than 48 hours. Signs of a major problem include bloody stool, inability to keep liquids down, high fever, or fainting.
- Monitor for signs of food poisoning like sustained fever over 101°F, bloody diarrhea, blurred vision, severe headache or neck stiffness. These require immediate medical treatment.
Don’t hesitate to call your doctor, a nurse helpline, or even 911 if you have major concerns about symptoms after eating spoiled kiwi. With rest and hydration, most cases can be managed at home. But severe food poisoning is nothing to mess around with.
Key Takeaways on Eating Bad Kiwis
A few key points to remember about spoiled kiwis:
- Inspect kiwis for signs of rot like mold, bruises, soft spots, and off odors. Eating a bad kiwi can cause foodborne illness.
- Learn to identify signs of spoilage, store kiwis properly, inspect them before eating, and be aware of potential symptoms.
- Consuming rotten kiwis can lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and other issues. More severe cases may require medical treatment.
- Prevent accidents by handling kiwis carefully, refrigerating promptly, and discarding any that seem damaged, old or questionable. Don’t take risks with moldy produce.
- Seek medical attention if you experience concerning symptoms after eating bad kiwi like high fever, bloody stool, or the inability to keep fluids down.
While kiwis are healthy and tasty when fresh, don’t let their nutrition go to waste once they start deteriorating. Learn what happens if you eat bad kiwi so you can avoid unpleasant consequences. With proper handling and caution, you can safely enjoy this wonderful fruit.